Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Blooming where I am planted

Hey FamBam.

I'm still in Korea, and Im still a missionary, in case anyone was thinking
otherwise.
This week has been nothing short of busy! (Welcome to my life.)
I experienced one of my very favorite (now memories) of my mission so far,
this week. It was an ordinary Tuesday, Sister Spencer and I walked to
Meenjis house in the rain and as we walked in with wet rain coats and soggy
Book of Mormons, Sister Kim and Sayhyeon met us at the door. She fed us
Asian Pears 배 and persimmons (which I hate by the way. But in the
missionary spirit, I ate it and smiled.)
I love her little apartment that overlooks the grove of trees in the park.
It was there that I learned that I could read Korean upside down. It was
there that I sat with Meenji in her room and read her a childrens book in
Korean as she wrapped her little doll in a blankie because 'she is cold'.
It was there that I first committed someone to recieve baptism and come to
know the love of the Savior.
Sister Kim had a woman over cleaning her house while we sat around the
coffee table and talked. Sister Kim told us about the conference talks that
we brought her while SayHyeon ran from lap to lap, eating a whole persimmon
and drooling all over the table.
As Sister Kim got up to go to the sink, her cleaning lady started talking to
her, asking who we were, what we were doing etc. She said that 'there is a
special feeling I feel when I listen to those girls talking, as I clean
your house.'



Sister Kim was inactive before we came to teach her. Through her
reactivation, her love for the gospel has grown and I have SEEN the
miracles that it has brought to her and her family. Sister Spencer and I
sat silently at the coffee table and watched Sister Kim, a once inactive and
quite lost member talk to the cleaning woman about the gospel and about
missionaries. She told her that there are missionaries are all over the
world. She told her that everything in our church is voluntary and that
Sister Spencer and I are sacraficing a lot to come and serve and preach the
gospel. She spoke to her for a long time, and I felt nothing short of the
entirety of the spirit in that room. That place certainly became holy
ground as we witnessed the power of missionary work, not just with those
who wear a tag but with *everyone.*
There is a reason why the Lord has instructed this church to be a
community. The most almighty being in the world desires his gospel to be
spread to all the world, he could do it ANY way that he wanted. Heavenly
Father could snap his fingers and every being on the planet could have a
Book of Mormon in their hand, but that's not the way he wants it done. He
involved ME. And he involved you and my companion and the Bishop and the
children in Primary and the man who lives down the street. The Lord invites
us to partake of human connection and to learn something valuable from
every person we meet. Our church is one of friendship, and I have always
admired that about it. Sister Kim just needed someone to sit down in a cafe,
one fall day at the beginning of my first transfer, and ask her if we could
come to her house and teach Meenji some English. Her flame of testimony was
burning out into almost ashes, but through befriending her and leading her
back into the fold, her flame was nurtured and kindled until we saw it
burning beautiul and bright in her kitchen that rainy Tuesday afternoon;
And there will never be anything that will compare to  witnessing such a
miracle. To know that I *helped*. And that somehow in the most miraculous
way, the Lord led us to her.
She is a miracle. And Meenji is a miracle.
And my mission is a miracle.
I encourage all of you to look for the miracles this week.
If you look hard enough, I promise you will find them.
I witness them *every day.*



I love *each* of you.
xo sister pappa.





Sister Spencer overlooking our area. 진자예퍼요. My mission is beautiful.


Walking to Meenjis in the rain and feeling rather happy to be missionaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment